kale and brussels sprouts salad
Take a second and think about how much life is in this dish....
Do you ever notice that when you eat raw fruits and vegetables you instantly feel invigorated and alive? It's because the ingredients you are consuming are are exactly that. This entirely raw salad with kale, brussels sprouts, apple, almond and a simple shallot and red wine vinaigrette is refreshing, lite and packed full of healthy benefits. It's a common misconception that salad is all that vegans are able to eat. Take a look at my other recipes and you will see that is far from reality. Truthfully, I should probably be eating more salads as they instantly make me feel healthier, both physically and mentally. Vegetables are such super hero foods that give so much love to our bodies. Here are ten reasons to add more salads into your diet.
1. It's a great and efficient way to eat more servings of vegetables and get your daily doses of vitamins and minerals.
2. Vegetables contain FIBER which is essential for digestion and keeps things moving properly.
3. Eating plenty of fiber will fill you up and make you feel fuller for longer. Therefore, you don't need to consume as much and this allows you to lose weight.
4. Raw veggies contain heaps of antioxidants that will fight off free radicals which promote pre-mature aging (no thanks!)
5. Leafy greens are an excellent source of protein
6. Healthy fats from nuts or avocados increase your amounts of healthy cholesterol and promote heart health.
7. Leafy greens like watercress and spinach are rich in Vitamin K which will keep your bones strong.
8. Since there is a high water content in vegetables, eat salads will hydrate your body.
9. Hydration makes your skin GLOW!
10. Veggies are packed full of nutrition and benefits. They'll cleanse the body, detox it and keeps your body and organs running as efficiently as possible.
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 bunch of kale
20 brussels sprouts
1 pink lady or gala apple
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
for the dressing:
1 shallot (remove the skin)
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of maple syrup
1 lemon, juiced
R E C I P E
Wash and take the kale leaves off of the stem. Chop the kale into small pieces and add to a large mixing bowl.
Wash and thinly slice the brussels sprouts with a knife or a mandoline. Add the sprouts to the bowl of kale.
Core the apple and slice into thin strips. Add the apple and almonds to the large bowl and mix.
Next, add the shallot to the food processor and grind so that it is diced. Add in the remaining dressing ingredients and blend until completely mixed. If you do not have a food processor you can dice the shallot yourself and whisk all of the ingredient together in a small bowl.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly.