vegan portobello mushroom fettuccine alfredo
Sometimes you're just craving something rich, comforting and satisfying. Sometimes you just say screw it and eat something that you know will give you a stomach ache because it sounds good, you're bored or feel like you've "earned it". What if I told you that you could have a deliciously creamy, oh so very Italian-y, bowl of noodles and sauce that will actually make you feel good? Whhaaattt?? Oh yes. This vegan portobello mushroom fettuccine alfredo is super rich and satisfying. The alfredo base is made out of cashews, which are a wonderful source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Here are ten reasons you should eat more cashews...
1. They're packed full of magnesium and therefore promote a healthy heart and lower blood pressure.
2. Cashews contain a lot of copper which helps give your hair a rich, healthy color.
3. They can help you lose weight! Cashews have a high fat content (healthy fats!) but are also very nutrient dense- allowing you to feel fuller for longer.
4. A 1/4 cup provides almost 15% of your daily vitamin K requirements. Vitamin K helps maintain strong bones.
5. Healthy fatty acids are required for a functioning brain. Nuts happen to be one of the highest natural sources of healthy fats.
6. Get glowing skin! Healthy fats keep your skin hydrated and looking fresh.
7. Cashews help lower inflammation in the body.
8. They're good for your eyes and help fight against cataracts.
9. Their magnesium helps protect our skin against sun damage.
10. Cashews contain proanthocyanidins, a type of flavanols which literally reject cancer cells and stop them from dividing and growing in the body. amazing.
I read things like that, especially number 10, and realize that nature is no accident. This is the food that we are meant to be eating- food that protects us and allows our body to heal and to survive! Nature is amazing.
I N G R E D I E N T S
brown rice fettuccine noodles
3 portobello mushroom caps
1/2 cup of raw cashews
1 cup of water
3 tbs of nutritional yeast
1 garlic clove
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Kale, roughly chopped
R E C I P E
-Boil a pot of water and cook the noodles per the instructions on the back of the packaging
-Slice the portobello caps and sauté them in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until the mushrooms are juicy and tender
-In a food processor, blend the cashews and water until creamy
-Next, add the nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper and half of the cooked mushrooms. Blend until smooth
-Cut up the remaining mushrooms into small pieces and add into sauce.
-Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir until all noodles are coated
-Roughly chop some kale leaves and sprinkle on top.